- Traditionally, people have defined someone who is intelligent as an individual who can solve problems, use logic to answer questions, and can think critically. Compare this traditional idea about intelligence with Gardener's. How have his ideas changed the way we asses the strengths and weaknesses of people?
- One criticism of Gardener's Theory is that he classifies talents as a type of intelligence. Critics might say that a talented dancer or chess player is not necessarily smart. How would you reply to this criticism?
- Does it matter if we call special abilities "Talents" or "Intelligences"?
- How does an understanding of multiple intelligences change how you view your own abilities? How will this know affect your schooling, life, you work with children or people?
Monday, September 12, 2011
Multiple Intelligence ~ What does it all mean?
Please discuss the following questions 5 to 7 sentences min. Due Thursday 9-15-11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1.I think Gardener's way of looking at intelligence has made people realize how smart they actually are. With Gardener's Theory you are intelligent in all eight areas but some you are higher in then others. I always thought you had to be book smart to consider yourself intelligent but his theory changes that for me. Some people are more intelligent in some areas then others because everyone has different interests.
ReplyDelete2.I don't think talent means you are intelligent because in a lot of areas everyone could be intelligent in. For instance everyone could be Talented in Dancing except for that not everyone pursues dancing or practices long enough. Most people could be talented in a lot of the same things as others if they took an interest in it and practiced.
3.No, because some people do have certain special abilities that make their intelligence unique to others.
4.Understanding of multiple intelligences makes me feel better about myself and it makes me feel like I am as smart as anyone else. This will affect my life because I will try to view everyone as intelligent in their own ways.
1. I think that Gardeners' idea of intelligences changes the way we look at people. It shows us that people can be intelligent in their own ways. It shows that even though someone may not be able to solve problems they may still be highly skilled at something else. It proves that just because you are not book smart or cannot learn well from books you can still learn. It shows that people can learn from other things such as through music or hands on rather than lectures and books. I think this is very true because I can learn very easily from books and lectures but my sister cannot, she needs to learn hands on.
ReplyDelete2. In my opinion they are still intelligent just in their own way. You do not have to be book smart to be intelligent. People are smart in their own way, so if someone is really good at chess then that is what they want to learn about the most and that is what they will be most skilled in. If someone is a really good dancer they may have studied dancing and they may know everything there is to know about dancing but they may not be very good at other subjects.
3. I think that you can call them either. I personally do not see the differnce between calling them "talents" or calling them "intelligences".
4. I think that knowing this will help me later in life when I start working with kids more and start to teach them. I think that knowing Nature is my highest intelligence will help me to learn better because I can try to learn more about it. I think this will also help me to make it easier teaching kids. I can try planning curriculums that include all these types of intelligences.
1. When people have always thought that people who can solve problems and are book smart are the only intelligent people it made a lot of people wonder if that was really the case or not. Gardners idea made people realize that just because you are not book smart doesn't mean you are not intelligent. There are plenty of things in life that you can be intelligent at without being a straight A student. There are some people who are really good at carpentry and could build anything you put in front of them but they can't spell a thing. Does that mean their not intelligent? No.
ReplyDelete2. I disagree with this criticism. To play chess involves problem solving. Any talents that someone may have take some intelligence. Not everyone can dance. It takes special talent and intelligence to do that.
3. It does not matter if we call special abilities talents or intelligents. They are both the same thing. To have a talent takes special intelligents. If you are good at horse back riding that means you know a lot about it. Therefore that requires intelligence.
4. If you think your dumb but you have many special talents that other people cant do maybe you will think different about yourself. You may realize that just because you don't get straight A's doesnt mean your not smart because you can do other things that other people cant do. It will help you in life working with children because when a child goes to put themselves down if they can't understand something in math and they call themselves dumb you can tell them that they are smart in other ways.
Makayla Perkins
1. With gardeners tho9ughts put into account it gives us somthing to mesure out of ourselves instead of guesing at random what our streangths are. He helps us decide them.
ReplyDelete2. I'd say that they are indeed smart. In there own way. That's there inteligence as mine and yours are different. It's not the type of intelegence that makes us smart but what about it give us that type of intelegence.
3. I think it does because a talent is something you can do and show people that not everyone can do where as you done necessarly have to show your intelegence.
4. Knowing what my intelegences are and seeing all the other intelegences makes me want to push harder to get a good equal amount of every intelegence. If that is even at all possible.
-Zachary
1.Gardener shows that all people are intelligent in their own way.If one is not good at one subject they might be highly skilled in others. He shows that all people are good at different things and you just have to see what you are good at. He also says that you learn from many different ways some learn better from books or seeing it and others learn better from interaction hands on.
ReplyDelete2.I disagree I would say that they are talented. that is what they are good at.Even chess and dancing involves a lot of skill and talent.
3.I don't think that is matters if you call them talents or intelligences because they are pretty much they same thing
4. The understanding of multiple intelligences changes how I view my own abilities because it makes me feel like everyone is smart in their own way. this will affect me in a good way I think it will help me understand every individual better now knowing that everyone learns in their own way and everyone is just as smart as anyone else.