In 1992 Wheelock College held a conference on play. In their brochure they said this about play: "Play is history,poetry and prophecy (Erik Erikson). Play is communication, play is problem-solving, play is development, play is culture, play is transformation, play is integration, play is connections, play is representation, play is power".
What do you make of the previous statement?
What might you pull from these comments and integrate into your own philosophy of play and creativity?
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe this statement is very true. People use to play in history. When you are playing it may have a poetic type of rhythm. People can communicate through playing. You can solve problems. It helps your motor skills development and helps your social skills develop when you play with others. Different cultures play in different ways. When you play you may pretend something is not what it is or transform it with your mind. It connects people from different backgrounds. It represents people. It inspires people which gives them the power to express themselves. In my opinion, play is in everything we do. It is around us at all times. Playing opens up doors that we never even knew existed.
ReplyDeleteI think the statement in true. Play means many things not just one like we all tend to think. I definitely argree that play is communication,play is problem-solving and play is development. You get so many things out of playing that you don't realize. Play is more important than people think. My own philosophy might be "Play is the way we grow, the way we learn, the way we become our own person and continue to grow as individuals throughout our life,play is the thing that never stops...".
ReplyDeleteI like this qoute. I think it gives the main basis on what play really means. Play is everything that the qoute says and much more. Play doesn't just have one specific defintion. If you read all the things that play is you can see that children use all these things when playing. I believe play helps you in all areas of development. My own philopshy of play is "Play is something everyone does in life, something someone needs to figure themselves out in life, play is a lot of things built up into one and is how we learn different things".
ReplyDeleteMakayla Perkins
With this quote I believe Erikson is meaning that all through your life you will need play. No matter what kind of play it is you need it for many different things for example; when your not thinking about something a great idea can hit you or to get your mind off of something at work that is stressing you out. You can never out grow play. Play grows with you and you will always have it.
ReplyDeleteOlivia
Play is power, I dont see a more fitting way to put that. There are endless ways to learn and play at the same time! And while your playing your moving! So it throws in a little pinch of excersice for your growing body as well. Because of PLAY you have the POWER to travle to the outskirts of the himalayas and jump the borders of japan all in the company of your own back yard. You can be Christopher Columbus and sale the sea's or Moby Dick and swim the seas all just while takeing a bath! Play is the essence fun and learning. Its got the power to teach you anything.
ReplyDelete-Zachary Morse
I like this quote I think that it gives pretty much exactly what play is. But it also means plenty more than that there can be plenty of different kinds of play. When you use what he says i think that it helps the children develope.
ReplyDeletemy own opinion on what play is.. play is something everyone uses throughout life, I dont think that you outgrow it or anything like I think it goes with you and grows with you as you grow up in life.
Cheyenne Wrigley
Sara Tuttle
ReplyDeleteKids play everyday. And kids are learning everyday. Kids also comunicate when they play because there talking to each other and talking about what they want to do. When there pretending to be something they are representing something. Its kind of like poetry because there making it up all on there own. I think erik erikson was saying that kids learn new things everyday when there playing.
I think this quote is saying that play has been something that everyone has done for many years and it is something that helps everyone whether they are developing a new way to solve a problem or learning to communicate to others through their own type of play. Kids will play house and base that off of what they are seeing at home and around them taking in the variety of culture. Play lets kids represent themselves in a wide variety of way. Play lets kids have the power over what they want to do and how they want to play no one can tell them how to play.
ReplyDeleteJackie
I agree with each one of these statments. I tjhink that if you were to ask anyone what they thought the word "play" meant someone would say one of the statements above. I personally would try to incoperate these into my classrooms everyday life.
ReplyDeleteI think each of the statments are very true because play can mean a bunch of different things. And I would personally try to incoperate all of the different meanings into your everyday life. Ashley
ReplyDelete